Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Shiroi Koibito

The Japanese are undoubtedly famous for producing some of the strangest and funkiest snacks around (I just bought a packet of avocado and shrimp bagel flavoured chips that I'll be trying later), but lets not forget some of the more traditional, normal, snacks too!

Shiroi Koibito - This is the famous Shiroi Koibito representative of Hokkaido, born from Ishiya Seika's excellent techniques and passion for confectionary. The soft flavored white chocolate sandwiched in fragrant "langue de chat" cookies (white type) after its first production in 1976 it has been enjoyed by many customers and was awarded by the Suisse Monde Selection in 1986. - taken from the Shiroi Koibito online shop
https://www.shiroikoibito.ishiya.co.jp/

In simple terms: two pieces of thin but crisp cookies with a slice of white chocolate (that is thicker than both pieces of cookies combined), sandwiched between them.

These chocolates are famous, really. I remember going to Japan some 9 years back and The Parents bought some of these. I didn't really remember how they tasted, just a vague memory that they were pretty darn good.

Then, the supermarket at the basement of Isetan Orchard held a huge Hokkaido Fair, which unfortunately ended a week or so ago. Now, I went there, expecting the usual goodies (it's a treasure trove there), and my eyes popped out at the site of a trolley filled with these! Japanese, being, well, Japanese, have this thing for packaging everything beautifully, and then charging a bomb for them. Don't get me wrong, the packaging makes you feel like every item you buy is a special present, better wrapped than any Christmas gift.

Take the Shiroi Koibito I saw at Isetan for instance - at first glace I had no idea these little pieces of heaven were in that plain old trolley. All that could be seen was rectangular and square shaped boxes, wrapped up in teal coloured wrapping paper. That, and several people crowding around it and picking up those mysterious packages. Being ever curious about anything in a supermarket, I ran to take a peek. Lo and behold! They come in various different sizes, as can be seen on the website, and I grabbed a box of 28pcs - a piece of heaven for 33 bucks.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The box of 28pcs (pic taken off their webpage)


Upon unwrapping (or ripping mercilessly) the package, a white cardboard box emerges. Now I was getting frustrated - how many layers were there till I hit the chocolate! Ripping the cardboard box open revealed a lovely tin, (intricately decorated, of course) that can be kept and used to store other things once it's been emptied of the chocolate. Finally, the chocolate pieces could be seen upon removal of the lid.



Shiroi Koibito individually wrapped
THE Shiroi Koibito


It did not disappoint at all. The white chocolate melts in your mouth and the biscuit is so thin, yet firm enough to give a delightful contrasting texture to the chocolate. Oh, it was worth the money. Absolutely deeeelicious. The downside - it leave you wanting more. And more. And more. Meaning you'll either have to have great powers of resistance or a very big hole in your wallet.

Unfortunately, I went back to Isetan several times in the past week and it looks like it's gone for good, so I doubt they can be found in Singapore anymore. But fret not! They can be bought online at their online shop! Preferably in those with the metal tins (the smaller quantities come in paper boxes) so they won't get crushed.


These make great gifts too! You won't even have to worry about wrapping it!








11 comments:

Lily said...

First try on this white chocolate cookies was on June 07 bought by my daughter from Japan airport. I love the taste so much that i log in the online web, intend to try purchase through online but the wordings is in Japanese, I very disappointed. Can anyone please feed back to me where can I get this products in Singapore as I'm a Singaporean, Thanks in advance.

Unknown said...

http://isetan.com.sg/index.jsp

check this out

hokkaido fair at isetan scott, singapore 9-19jan 2009

hope i can find there

Girish Nalgirkar said...

Does it contain some meat?

sgtaobaospree said...

lily if you like the chocolates, u can drop me an email at tbgben09@hotmail.com. I got some extra boxes for sale

SabrinaTheArizonaDesertRose said...

I just had some of those cookies today for the first time. A lady at my job got a gift box of them from a Japanese client...and she shared. Delish! Now I want to know where in the USA I can pick up this potentially addictive goodie :)

Janice Pennington said...

I'm not good with Japanese Kanji and can't seem to fina a way to input US mailing addresses into their order form, it keeps asking for 8 digit zips and japanese states... any ideas?

Tsubasa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tsubasa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tsubasa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tsubasa said...

I can still get it.

If you want, contact me via takahashi_tsubasa@hotmail.com

I am staying in Singapore

saltvinegar said...

It's currently available in Malaysia one utama