Wednesday, July 4, 2007

choccolate making + donuts + ramen

thechowfiles. My love for food photography (though taken with a digital and not one of those house multiple lens megaproness cams) has led to this!

Now, there isn't really much more to my life other than food. No. I'm not joking. I wish I was. But I'm not.

That sounds sad.

Anyway, there was chocolate making in school today! Part of this year's enrichment week, and one of the food related things I signed up for (food trail and Pizza Hut tour to come!) Honestly, it was quite a disappointment, didn't really make chocolate, it was much more of them giving us melted chocolate and ingredients like cornflakes, raisins and nuts to mix into clusters called rochers - the proper name for any chocolate cluster. Nuf with the talk, on to the pictures!

empty paper cups before we began


the mixing process of liquid milk chocolate, raisins and cornflakes.


the spoon we used to scoop the mixture into the cups (it was licked clean after that - mmm.)


the final product of the little work we did!


the empty mixing bowl and our finished product


what i brought home


They are now sitting happily in the fridge - yup, all five of them. The other three took a trip down my gullet awhile back. Good chocolate, I say!

After the activities, I went down to Isetan Orchard and had lunch with The Mother at this Japanese restaurant called Tonkichi I believe (wasn't really taking note), found on the fourth floor. Both of us had ramen and it was pretty decent actually. Love the flavourful soup!







Somehow, I love Ajisen Ramen's noodles more still, but this is good and springy in its own right.

Then *drumrolls* I begged The Mother to go to Vivocity to get donuts. I love donuts. Never knew when the love started, but I've always had cravings for them since young. Now with all the sudden craze for them in Singapore, I just hope better donuts will come in soon!

Prays for Krispy Kremes. And Kanes. And everything else.

While those may not be here yet, there is Vinco at Vivo that I never got around to trying. The last time I queued 4 hours for those from the Donut Factory down at Raffles City, but in all honest it wasn't worth the wait and the donuts were not great. Fresh, though, due to the fact that they were constantly making new batches, but the dough was... well, not as great as hoped. There was an aftertaste to it, and could have been fluffier. So I decided to try Vinco today, after having serious cravings for the past few days. The queue, thankfully, was short, due to it being a weekday afternoon, and we got out donuts in some 15 mins or so.

The Mother said I was allowed half a dozen donuts at first, but after much pleading we got around to getting a dozen. Whoopee!





And here they are, not really in all their glory. I couldn't wait to get home before eating, and thus opened the box in the car and began munching away, even though it was right after a very large meal. In all I ate 3 donuts or so already (please pardon the ugliness of it).


this looks slightly better


It's not bad. I got 6 chocolate, one sweet cheese, one normal cheese, a cherry one, a coffee flavoured and a caramel cinnamon. The dough (the most important part of a donut) is better than that of the Donut Factory's, lighter and with no aftertaste. The topping are good too, the cheese is especially interesting, great cheese toppings for both the sweet and the savoury ones! Wish the chocolate ones had chocolate fillings though. Overall, Vinco beats Donut Factory, both queue wise and taste. It seems Vinco has more manpower and higher efficiency too! Hope they go central though, Vivo is really kind of far out for me.

Burp.

Oh look, TV time.

And some say I should start studying for the A levels.

*scoffs*

No comments: